Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Quick post: Phone book


Quick post!  Yesterday I had an idea during group time about how to increase our children's understanding of number and recognition. We each took it in turn to call a different teacher using the telephone. I recited a telephone number for the children and they called that sequence. It was really interesting to find out which children knew which numbers were which.

So today I put out a phone book we made with all the staff's photos in with a number next to them.

I used pictures of the numeral from the telephone pad to increase recognition. I also made sure the numbers were in a line (horizontally, vertically, diagonally). 

We used it today and had a great response - some of the children noticed the similarities between the pictures of digits and those on the phone pad.